Embracing the tourist tag fully means that when the sun shines we go out for a day (I do draw the limit at trekking anywhere in the rain.... I know I'm a wimp in reality!) So today we went to Torquay..... oh I do love the names over here.... feels so home-y. Actually we are having a family competition to find the funniest town name over here and so far Wagga Wagga is at the top of the list but I will keep you posted if, and when, it get overtaken.
Anyway, back to Torquay... we got some body boards (only for the kids you understand as I am also a wimp when it comes to early spring sea water temperatures, especially when the water orginates from the ocean around the Antarctic!) They had an absolute blast down on the surfing beach just catching the last little bits of the wave and riding them into shore. However it was a bit of an 'in, out, in, out, shake it all about' affair as we didn't have wetsuits for the kids (those are hiding in a shed in Falmouth at the moment) but they loved playing in the sand to get warm and then popping into the ocean for a bit more of a 'surf'. There were however, dozens of real surfers out there and I have to admit to being a bit awestruck at how amazing it looks. I did notice a couple of surf schools around so maybe one of these day I'll take the plunge (literally) and have a go myself (in the autumn with a very hefty wetsuit on of course!)
In what seems to be becoming a family tradition we found a good homemade ice cream shop and each consumed huge amounts of ice cream before heading home on a sugary high with rosey cheeks and sandy hair..... ah bliss!

No comments:
Post a Comment