Saturday, 27 February 2010

Homeschool highlights......

My kids love science...... I mean they seriously LOVE science....

If they can do experiments and learn why things work the way they do then it makes for happy children..... especially for Isaac who, I am convinced one day, will take something really important apart (like the laptop) just so he can see how it works! I don't mind him pulling apart some things...... but please.... not the computer!

Now Evie, well her selection of books from the library ALWAYS includes books about living things (a girl after my own heart) and 'nature' is definitely her 'thing'!

So this year we are doing a course called Real Science 4 Kids and I have to say, they are loving it!

Every week we read a chapter in the textbook (it's chemistry at the moment) and every week they get to do a hands on experiment illustrating the stuff talked about in the chapter. Now, I was rubbish at chemistry at school, it was the one science I dropped out of ...... but let me tell you it is so much fun learning it second time round with kids.....

So here they are learning all about how molecules are formed..... with marshmallows and toothpicks..... I even bought the four coloured marshmallows so that we could make distinctions between the different type of atoms!! What fun we had....



To begin with they were allowed to build molecules with no rules..... ah, what weird and wacky shapes they came up with!



Then they moved on to building molecules following simple rules. And after all of that..... we played fluffy bunnies.......

No comments:

endings and beginnings......