Saturday, 12 February 2011

pummel the bread, don't knead it.....

at the end of last year we made a decision about the cooking in our house....

Evie, and to some extent Isaac, wanted to 
get in on the act of helping cook the evening meal..... 
not a bad thing you may think..... 
but I have to admit that I don't enjoy cooking with the kids..... 
SHOCK..... HORROR.....

I like to get in the kitchen, get the dinner 
done in 15 minutes or less {ha, ha} 
and get on to more fun things.....

Brian.... 
now there's a guy who cooks with kids BIG TIME and 
always involves them when he cooks a meal 
{curry is his 'piece de resistance'} 
and he doesn't ever get stressed about it.... 
have I mentioned how awesome he is??.....

and so at the end of last year we made a decision 
that as part of our 'homeschool enrichment programme' {LOL} 
the kids would, in turn, take one meal a week and make it 'theirs'...... 
that meant deciding what to eat, doing all prep and cooking for it...... 
just simple stuff but nonetheless a night when I didn't do the cooking.....

they have done really well with it so far and we 
have had chicken schnitzel a la Isaac, 
lentil & bacon soup a la Evie, 
spaghetti bolognese and a couple of other tastey dishes.....

this week Evie made us 'broth' {thanks Grandma for the recipe.....} 
and she near pummelled the bread to death...... 
because, of course, making bread rolls is half the fun of making soup don't you know......



the rolls did end up light and airy after a good time 
rising in the warm oven and the broth was DELICIOUS......

maybe..... 
very slowly.... 
we can increase the times they each cook 
and I could retire from the kitchen..... 
apart from baking of course..... 
baking is a completely different ball game.....

No comments:

endings and beginnings......