Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Feijoa heaven......

My knowledge of fruit has been broadened since living here in the southern hemisphere....

First it was cherry plums - never heard of them before, even though they are not unique to the southern hemisphere. Now I have a tree full of them right at the end of the garden (well, it's not full of them now..... but it was!)

Next came pluots, again, another new fruit to me - really enjoyed them when they were in season.. yum!

Then last week I found a green fruit, similar in size and shape to a lime but very fragrant to the nose, just lying on the ground by the back deck.

I remembered that the owner of this house had said they were edible so I took it indoors, cut it in half, had a good look and a sniff and then tucked in.

INTERESTING - I thought.......

Well, for the past week Evie has been coming indoors each day with at least one ice cream tub full of them and so I thought it about time to find out what they are..... (they are taking over the kitchen worktop!)

Here is a piccy.....


Of course, they are feijoa's....

What?

Yup, another fruit I have never heard of!! (though again, they are not unique to the southern hemisphere).

They are quite yummy, very fragrant and I have about 10kgs of them!

Anyone got any good recipes?.........

No comments:

endings and beginnings......