Saturday, 25 October 2008

Not Again!!

Two posts in one day, what is the world coming to?! The farmers market did not disappoint with lots of tasting going on of cheese, chutneys, breads.... infact I pretty much had my lunch looking round and did purchase a rather yummy pot of chilli relish to boot! Walked from there to the local Salvation Army Op Shop (what a fun name eh? It's short for opportunity shop, in England we would call it a charity shop but I have to admit to quite liking the Australian name because there certainly are lots of opportunities for me to find bits of treasure in them!) Well, they were having a free 'sausage sizzle' today which we were all very pleased about, especially Isaac 'how many sausages can I have?' Crawford Poxon(!), and we proceeded to make ourselves at home around the barbie. Of course I couldn't resist a look inside the op shop and what did I find but the most marvellous woolen blanket (should there be two ll's in woollen or just one I wonder?) Anyway, I can hear you wondering (apart from my sister who I'm sure would have a very good inkling about what to do with a wool blanket) 'whatever could she want with an old wool blanket'. Aha, well let me enlighten you! I spent a while on the internet last night googling how to make felt slippers (I have a desire to make my own slippers rather than buying a pair which will invariably fall apart within days) and found a couple of rather nifty patterns that I liked the look of, so what better than to buy an old Australian woolen blanket (in a nice chequered blue, pink and cream pattern I hasten to add), felt it in my washing machine and fashion for myself (and anyone else in the house who would like a pair) a warm and comfy pair of slippers! At $2.50 (about one British pound at the moment) it was an opportunity not to be missed...... so I didn't! Brian also purchased a book that he has been looking at for many years now and it was only 50 cents.... bargain!

Aforementioned blanket is now felted and on the line drying.... I will keep you updated with the progression of the slippers (may even post a photo if they turn out OK!!)

2 comments:

dot said...

Put my name down for a pair please!!
Looking forward to sampling all the delights of said Farmers Market when I visit.

Anonymous said...

op shop? Sounds like you might be operated on by the Salvation Army!! In a shop!! Think I would rather a hospital :)

endings and beginnings......