Friday, 4 September 2009

A whole decade.....

My little boy had his 10th birthday today and, as usually happens, I got all reminiscent and found it so hard to believe that it is a whole decade since we welcomed him into this world. He decided that he wanted me to make chocolate cupcakes with melted chocolate on top and a marshmallow to top it off for him to share with his class. So there I was baking two dozen little buns and trying not to eat the melted bar of chocolate before it got on to the top of them! I couldn't resist however eating about a third of the packet of marshmallows..... they are fat free you know!


The other request was, as it has been on a number of other birthdays up till now, that I make him a cake decorated to look like the train from Thomas the Tank Engine that corresponds to his age..... this year it was Douglas. Now for those of you who don't know the Thomas engines off by heart (and I have to admit I have completely forgotten which are which after many years of knowing exactly who was who!) Douglas is one of a pair of twin engines and he is BLACK!!! "UGH.... really? I have to make you a black cake?" I asked, to which Isaac responded "Yes, of course, because he is number 10!!" Imagine my dismay when I had to cover a lovely piece of cake in tons of black buttercream and you can only imagine what my children's mouths looked like after eating a piece of said cake FOR BREAKFAST!! (it is a rule in our house that on their birthday they can pretty much eat what they want, when they want..... they even get to choose what meal we have for dinner.... how's that for loosening my grip a little!!)

Anyway here is a little pic of his cake.... and for those of you who are Thomas lovers please excuse my very bad interpretation of Douglas.... and for those of you who are cake decorators please excuse my very bad icing!!


It was, as is always the case, met with an open mouth, a great big smile and a 'it's great mum'...... makes my heart melt every birthday, and is the only reason I keep making birthday cakes to order even though I don't really enjoy doing it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually Deb, I think that's a pretty good likeness.
Phil T

endings and beginnings......